By Shedrack Frank/Nathan Nwakamma/Yenagoa
A fire at the residence of the Bayelsa Chairman of Board of Internal Revenuee, Mr Nimibofa Ayawei, on Saturday killed his son and the girlfriend of the son.
The two victims were in the building in the suburb of Yenagoa, the capital, when it was gutted. Neighbours rushed to put out the fire and save the building from being burnt down completely.
A family source, Mr James Akan confirmed to NAN that the two victims were Mr Mike Ayawei and his girlfriend, whose name could not be immediately ascertained.
The BIR chairman was not in the building when the accident happened.
Akan said the fire started early on Saturday as Port-Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company restored power.
This raised the suspicion that the fire may have been caused by power surge..
“The family members have deposited the remains of the two persons at the mortuary, it is really a pathetic sight.
“As they brought the light, there was a loud explosion and
other occupants of rooms in the house started running for safety.
“Mike was trying to save his girl friend before they were caught up by
“It is a pity, others even broke the burglary protector in an effort to save their lives but help came too late. He unfortunately died trying to save his girl friend,” Akan said.
According to Akan, Ayawei just recovered from serious ailment and was away for a burial ceremony when the fire broke out.
He said, the family is in grief now and will soon prepare for burial of the two victims.
When contacted the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) DSP Asinim
Butswat, said the Command received a distress call that a house was burning and immediately dispatched a response team.
When contacted the Head of Fire Service Yenagoa Mr Dennis
Obumor, said the fire service was not contacted during the fire outbreak.
Obumor said that the service was unaware of the fire incident that killed two persons in Akenfa, a suburb of Yenagoa