Connect with us

news

300 Boko Haram suspects remanded in prison

Published

on

About 300 Boko Haram suspects who were due in court on Tuesday will now have to wait until at least next month to learn when they will be formally tried.

The individuals were remanded in custody for 90 days on October 10 by a civilian court set up at a military base in central Nigeria.

“The case was slated for resumption today (Tuesday) but it has been postponed to February. No date has been fixed yet,” a justice ministry source told AFP.

“The law allows for an extension of the remand order for another 90 days, so we are still within the limit provided by the law.

“There are ongoing investigations into the individual cases of the suspects and these investigations have not been concluded.

“We need further investigations before the court resumes so that we won’t be asking for more adjournments.”

Nigeria began the first mass trials linked to the Islamist insurgency in October last year, more than eight years after the start of violence that has killed at least 20,000.

Human rights groups have accused the military of arbitrarily arresting thousands of civilians and holding them in unsanitary conditions and without access to lawyers.

The prosecutions were welcomed but the government was criticised for ordering the hearings to be held behind closed doors, with the media and public banned.

Four civilian courts have been set up at a military base in Kainji, in Niger state, to try 1,669 suspects.

The government said on October 13 that 45 people were convicted and sentenced to between three and 31 years in jail but gave no further details.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Latest News

Politics4 hours ago

BY-ELECTION: Kwara REC expresses satisfaction over election conduct

The Resident Electoral Commissioner, (REC), in Kwara State, Alhaji Attahiru Madami, has commended voters in the ongoing by-election into the...

news21 hours ago

Saraki seeks greater commitment to eradicate corruption

By Olugbenga Salami Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, on Friday, said that Nigeria can only grow and achieve its true...

news24 hours ago

Nigerian Army constructs holding facility for insurgents in Borno

The Nigerian Army says it has embarked on the construction of a holding facility in Borno to improve detainee management...

news24 hours ago

FRSC tasks petrol tanker drivers on safety regulations

The Lagos State Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), on Friday, advised petrol tanker drivers to adhere to...

Metro24 hours ago

2, 100 Corps members commence orientation course in Kwara

A total of 2, 100 Corps members have began orientation for the 2018 batch C Orientation course at the NYSC...

news1 day ago

NAHCON reads riot act to tour operators, state pilgrims’ boards

By Olugbenga Salami National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, NAHCON has warned the Licensed Tour Operators and State Pilgrims’ Welfare Boards...

news2 days ago

2019: Mimiko withdraws from presidential race

The Zenith Labour Party (ZLP) has announced the withdrawal of its presidential candidate, Mr Olusegun Mimiko from the 2019 presidential election....

Politics2 days ago

Oshiomhole: What Nigerians are expecting from Buhari—Saraki

  Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, has stated that Nigerians are eagerly awaiting how President Muhammadu Buhari will handle the...

Metro2 days ago

Saraki gets commendations over xtians’ sponsorship to Jerusalem

Senate President Bukola Saraki has been commended for his commitment to the promotion of peaceful coexistence among religions’ adherents in...

Business and Economy2 days ago

NCC reiterates commitments to checkmating call masking by service providers

The Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) has assured telecom consumers that it would stop masking of calls by service providers in...

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Royal News.

%d bloggers like this: