Connect with us

top stories

INEC disassociates self from purported image of under-aged voting  

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has disassociated itself from the current videos and pictures in the social media platforms, showing under-aged persons thumb-printing ballot papers and voting in an election.

INEC made the clarification in a statement signed by its Director, Voter Education and Publicity, Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi in Abuja on Tuesday.

Osaze-Uzzi said the images which have gone viral did not relate in any way to any election organised, conducted or superintended by the commission.

The director said the commission could not be held directly or vicariously liable for an exercise outside its legal purview.

“It should be pointed out here that local government elections are exclusively the responsibility of the respective State Electoral Commissions, who are in no way under the control and supervision of INEC.

“As far as the commission is concerned, they relate to a local government election conducted at the weekend, over which INEC has no legal control or responsibility whatsoever,” he stated.

Osaze-Uzzi restated the commitment of INEC to sanitising the electoral process of the country.

“The commission remains resolute in its commitment to sanitise the nation’s electoral process and deliver free, fair and credible elections,” he said.

The director said INEC was doing all it could to ensure a credible register of voters.

He said that in addition to running the Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS), the commission would employ its business process rules to weed unlawful entries.

He said INEC was aware of the challenges encountered in some quarters by prospective registrants in the ongoing nation-wide Continuous Voter Registration (CVR).

Osaze-Uzzi said steps had been taken to ameliorate the situation through the acquisition and deployment of new Direct Data Capture (DDC) machines for registration.

The director said the commission had also increased the number of registration centres in the affected areas.

He appealed to those who did not register in the previous registration exercises to do so now.

He gave the assurance that the Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) of those who registered in 2017 would be ready for collection in May 2018.

 

 

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Latest News

Sports10 hours ago

SHOCKING ….Another African football legend is dead

An African football legend, Rigobert Song has been reportedly dead. The late Cameronian football star passed away hours ago in...

Business and Economy19 hours ago

Facebook Chairman under pressure to resign

There is high pressure on Mark Zuckerberg to step down as Facebook chairman after several major shareholders called for more...

news19 hours ago

Osinbajo breaks silence on plan to sell Ajaokuta Steel Coy

Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State has disclosed that Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, has given him assurance that the...

Foreign20 hours ago

20 feared dead as truck’s tyre bursts on motion

At least 20 people were killed in a road smash in South Africa’s northern Limpopo province after a truck swerved...

education21 hours ago

Tin metal discovered on Unilorin land—VC

 The Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ilorin, Prof Sulyman Age Abdulkareem has disclosed that large quantity of Tin metal was...

Metro21 hours ago

AMAZING…. Why women patronize ‘Okrika’ underwear

The business of fairly-used female underwear now enjoy high patronage among the womenfolk in Umuahia, Abia, the News Agency of...

Celebrities22 hours ago

AT LAST…..Ooni takes new wife, Olori Moronke

Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, on Friday unveiled his new wife, Queen Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi. The monarch, who made...

Metro22 hours ago

Ekiti Muslims react to Fayemi appointments

  The Muslim community in Ekiti state on Thursday rejected what was called lopsidedness in the three appointments made so far by...

news22 hours ago

Imo traditional rulers sue for abolition of Osu caste system

Traditional rulers in Ikeduru Local Government Area in Imo have expressed their willingness to abolish the Osu caste system in...

news22 hours ago

Buhari reiterates commitment to ending Boko Haram insurgency

President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday night reassured that the brutal activities of the Boko Haram sect would soon become history....

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Royal News.

%d bloggers like this: