Connect with us

Crime

SAD…. Gunmen kill Director of Dangote Cement plant in Ethiopia

Published

on

Aliko Dangote

Unidentified gunmen killed the manager of a plant owned by Nigeria’s
Dangote Industries Limited in Ethiopia on Wednesday after he was
attacked in the restive Oromiya region while returning to the capital
from the factory, officials said.

Oromiya, which surrounds the capital Addis Ababa, was plagued by
violence for over two years, largely fueled by a sense of political
and economic marginalisation among its young population.

Hundreds died in the violence that was triggered in 2015 by
demonstrations over land rights, before they broadened into rallies
over freedoms that spread to other regions.

“The company’s director died following an attack by unknown gunmen
that took place while returning from the factory alongside two company
employees,” a government statement said.

“Security forces are currently pursuing the assailants,” it added.

The statement called on residents in the area to help gather details.

Representatives of the company in Nigeria were not immediately
available for comment.

It was not immediately clear whether it was the company’s country
representative or the plant manager who died in the attack.
During the unrest, some vehicles belonging to the firm were torched by
protesters.

Company heads have been in discussions with the region’s authorities
to boost employment opportunities.

The plant – Ethiopia’s largest cement producer – was inaugurated in May 2015.

The country remains under a state of emergency imposed in February, a
day after prime minister Hailemariam Desalegn resigned.

Former army officer Abiy Ahmed has since replaced him.

Since taking over amid the unrest that threatened the ruling
coalition’s tight grip, Abiy has vowed “a new political beginning”
including more democratic rights.

Thousands have been released since January, including journalists and
dissidents who have been jailed for a variety of charges including
terrorism.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Latest News

news16 hours ago

NLC rejects N27, 000 minimum wage

The Nigeria Labour Congress has rejected the N27,000 new national minimum wage adopted by the National Council of States on...

news16 hours ago

2019 budget passage faces delay as Senate adjourns over lack of quorum

Indication that commencement of debates on the 2019 budget presented by last year December by President Muhammadu Buhari may be...

Politics17 hours ago

Kwara North Leaders Commend PDP 2023 Power Shift Plan

Former top bureaucrats from Kwara north senatorial district have praised the understanding announced on Sunday by leaders of the Peoples...

Crime1 day ago

After defiling 3 step sisters, see what court did to 14yr-old boy

A Chief Magistrate Court sitting in Ikeja on Monday remanded a 14-year-old boy (name withheld) for allegedly defiling his three...

Politics1 day ago

Buhari is only waiting for election declaration— Okowa

President Muhammadu Buhari had already won the February 16 presidential election, ROYAL NEWS has gathered. The All Progressives Congress’ governorship...

Politics3 days ago

BREAKING….PDP signs MoU to shift power to Kwara North in 2023

The leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party,  (PDP), in Kwara State on Sunday resolved to shift power to Kwara North...

Politics3 days ago

Gobir donates new secretariat to Kwara APC

A chieftain of the All Progressive Congress,  (APC) and Patron of the Presidential Support Committee for the re-election of President Muhammadu...

Business and Economy4 days ago

Active subscribers near 173million in December — NCC

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) says there were 172,871,094 active subscribers on the telecommunication networks in December 2018, as against...

Celebrities4 days ago

SAD…. Fire outbreak kills Jimoh Ibrahim’s 76yr-old mother

Mrs. Theresa Jimoh, the mother of business mogul, Jimoh Ibrahim, has been killed in an early morning fire incident. It...

news4 days ago

Presidency dismisses report on plan to arrest CJN, frame Supreme Court Justices

The Presidency has expressed “considerable concern and surprise’’, the fake news of the Presidency’s alleged plan to arrest the Chief...

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Royal News.

%d bloggers like this: